With us on Ritten Mountain
Meadows and woods, decorated little houses and fields: Ritten Mountain is a cherished child of nature – and of people. This sun-spoiled plateau high up in the heart of South Tyrol has always inspired cultured landscapes and woods, framed by typical South Tyrolean farmhouses, decorated guest houses and cute little “Summer Retreat Cabins” that compose delightful landscape pictures with a respect for nature.
A flair of long ago that has impressed itself over the local mountain of Bolzano is underscored by the Ritten Mountain Railroad, a narrow gauge railroad that has been running for more than 100 years and today still connects Oberbozen and Klobenstein for local people and visitors. The sunniest views of the mountain range and the Dolomite peaks can be seen from this train route and from the countless hiking trails leading from it.
When in summer the heat is brooding in the city, the natives have always escaped up onto Ritten Mountain. At 1000 m above sea level, the nights are pleasantly cool, even in high summer; during the day, easy walking and hiking trails lead past the Earth Pyramids over scented meadows and woods to the painterly and thickly-wooded Wolfsgrubener Pond or one of several swimming pools.
The Rittner Horn, with its peak at 2260 m, the goal of ambitious hikers who are rewarded with possibly the most beautiful 360° panorama view of all South Tyrol, shows its best side in winter with its wide, smooth slopes as a family ski area. When Frau Holle shakes out her downy blankets (as in the fairy tales) and sends snow everywhere, then naturally there is for everyone, especially for children, a whole lot of real sledding fun right outside the front door.
Ritten Mountain, with its middle alpine region, verdant meadows and spring blossoms, or colour-rich fall invites all friends of nature and hikers to stretch out their hiking tours. Naturally here is the “Törggele” tradition with sweet wine, “Keschten” (roasted chestnuts) and a savory board of hearty delicacies.
What is included!
- Summer hiking days at Pranzagerhof: once a week we all take a hike together to one of the most beautiful spots on Ritten Mountain
- For bathing enthusiasts there are these places on Ritten Mountain:
Oberbozen Outdoor Pool: open between June until September from 10-18:00 – 2,7 km away
Klobenstein Outdoor Pool: open from end of May until September from 9-20:00 – 9,5 km away
Wolfsgrubener Pond: free entrance with RittenCARD – 5,1 km away
- Bicycling: make a friendly tour borrowing our bicycles
- Bee Museum: open between middle of March until end of October from 10- 18:00 – 4,7 km away; reachable in ca. 90 minutes by foot over the Earth Pyramid Path and the Ritten Theme Path 16, then following Path 16a and Paths 5 and 15.
- For Ice Princesses and Ski Curving Queens:
Oberbozen Natural Ice Rink: open according to weather conditions – ca. 3 km away
Wolfsgrubener Pond: open according to weather conditions – 5,1 km away
Ritten Ice Stadium Arena in Klobenstein: Saturdays and Sundays 14-16:00 – 9,5 km away
Ritten Ice Ring Arena: open according to weather conditions between middle of November until middle of February, Sundays from 14-16:30
- Skiing or snowboard fun on the Rittner Horn: open according to weather conditions between December until March – Pemmern Valley Station – 14,6 km away
- Always something going on! Culture and events in Oberbozen and vicinity
- Shopping and Culture: breathe a little city air … Cable car delivers visitors daily until 21.48 every four minutes between Bolzano and Ritten – Mountain Station 2,6 km away